Thursday, December 25, 2008

Best Of 2008

Best Full Length Albums of 2008
Off With Their Heads – From The Bottom (No Idea)
It's about time Off With Their Heads finally released an actual full length record. This did not disappoint one bit.

The Methadones / The Copyrights – Split (Transparent)
It's pretty much impossible for me to dislike anything from both of these bands. What else needs to be said?

Gordon Gano’s Army – S/T (Art Of The Underground)
I don't know what it is but "First Song" just by itself makes this album worth buying.

The Riot Before - Fists Buried In Pockets (Say-10)
Even though Against Me! decided to become boring at least there are great bands like the Riot Before to take their place and put out great albums.

Chronic Seizure – Ancient Wound (Fashionable Idiots/No Way)
Some of the best Chicago hardcore music out there right now.

The Loved Ones – Build And Burn (Fat Wreck)
I think I actually enjoy this album even more than Keep Your Heart.

Shot Baker – Take Control (Riot Fest)
Great band, great dudes, great album. The best album I've ever been thanked in… also the only album I've ever been thanked in.

The Steinways – Gorilla Marketing (Cold Feet)
I enjoy silly simple pop-punk songs, this album is chock full of them.

Teenage Bottlerocket – Warning Device (Red Scare)
It didn't end up topping Total but it's still a mighty solid release.

Druglords Of The Avenues – Sing Songs (Self Released/Red Scare)
Well the Swingin' Utters still haven’t put out a new album so this is the closest alternative there is, and a mighty fine one to boot.

The Dopamines – The Dopamines (It's Alive)
A bunch of dumb drunks from Ohio put out a good pop-punk album.

The Damned – So, Who’s Paranoid? (English Channel)
Nothing they could do would be able to top their classic "Machine Gun Etiquette" but this is a super solid modern day Damned album and is a huge improvement over their last album Grave Disorder.

Terrible Twos – Terrible Twos (X!/Criminal IQ)
Showing the world that good things still do come out of Detroit… who knew?

The Copyrights – Learn The Hard Way (Red Scare)
I think it’s impossible for the Copyrights to NOT have a new album out every year. We'll see what happens in 2009.

Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw (Vagrant)
I have a certain Mr. Jason Swearingen to thank for getting the song "Coming Home" stuck in my head. Solid album overall.

Honorable Mentions
Olehole – Holemole
Pink Razors – Leave Alive
Total Abuse – Total Abuse
Banner Pilot – Resignation Day
The Cute Lepers – Can't Stand Modern Music


Best EP’s of 2008
The Brokedowns – Six Songs (Cassette Deck)
These dudes shit gold and fart magic. I want to re-learn my ABC's!

Sex/Vid – Communal Living (Dom America)
Is this considered a full-length or an EP? I think it's an EP so suck it!

Dead To Me – Little Brother (Fat Wreck)
This has made me very excited to see what they have in store for their full-length

Andrew Jackson Jihad – Only God Can Judge Me (Plan-It-X)
This is an enjoyable follow-up to their full-length from last year. This band won me over instantly seeing them live.

Vacation Bible School – Unlucky (Cassette Deck)
It's about time these guys finally put out something. Only problem is these guys should try to cut a few of the longer songs to under 3 minutes… you're a punk band, not Van Halen!


Best 7” Records of 2008
Pinhead Gunpower – West Side Highway (Recess)
There's a million Jews in New York, and I'm one of them!

Sex/Vid – Nests (Dom America)
I should have skipped work to see this band live the last time they were here, stupid me. I hope they come back soon.

Deep Sleep - Manic Euphoria (Grave Mistake)
I want this band to put out a full-length album.

Cobra Skulls – Never Be A Machine (Red Scare)
The two new songs are great… and hey they were smart and didn't include the word “Cobra” anywhere in the two new song titles, good job!

The Steinways – Unoriginal Recipe (It's Alive)
This one was worth it just for the super neat Pizza Pack packaging alone.


Top 7" of 2008 that isn't a 7"
The Ergs! – That’s It… Bye! (Don Giovanni)
Sure the artwork is nice but was it enough to warrant this being a 12" record? At any rate, all the songs are amazing and I'll miss this band a lot.


Best Collections of 2008
The Ergs! – Hindsight Is 20/20 My Friend (Dirtnap)
Is it bad that a singles collection is actually my most favorite and my most listened too album of 2008? You tell me!

Hot Water Music – Till The Wheels Fall Off (No Idea)
Listening to HWM increases facial hair growth by at least 35%, it's a fact.

Swingin' Utters - Hatest Grits: B-sides And Bullshit(Fat Wreck)
I guess this collection will hold me over while I still hope for a new Swingin' Utters full-length


Bummers of 2008
Dillinger Four – CIVILWAR (Fat Wreck)
I don't think it sucks, I think that it's a 3 out of 5 star album… but that just pales in comparison to all their other full lengths which are perfect or at the very least close to perfect.

The Gaslight Anthem – The 59 Sound (Side One Dummy)
I thought Sink Or Swim was a great album and I think the EP is pretty good… however, I just can't get into this album. Spare for two songs I think this album is pretty mediocre and the production just sucks out any energy in this album.

The Phenomenauts – For All Man Kind (Silver Sprocket)
I thought Re-Entry was a great album but this album just didn't deliver the goods.

Millencolin – Machine 15 (Epitaph)
Kingwood set the bar really high and they completely missed the mark with this follow-up. It's such a huge step down compared to their last three albums.

...well that's it for now, happy holidays and happy new year to you all!

3 comments:

Weirdmusician said...

i agree with the bummers specially the millencolin album it was something completely different than before and it turned away a lot of people.
i might have to check out the bands you mentioned that i havent heard before.

squidproquo said...

I agree about the new Millencolin. We got that album in the mail at the paper I worked at when I was at school...I didn't even review it. Props on OWTH and Shot Baker. I've bene compiling a list of sorts myself. Still not done with it though. A bunch of good stuff came out this year, I don't wanna miss any. It seems there were more re-issues of good albums than new ones though...

squidproquo said...

I actually really like the new Dillinger Four album though. It took me a few listens, and I think it's pretty good. Not their best, but I think it's pretty good.